The Maverick Club Room
The Maverick Club was formed by fifty prominent citizens of the Village of Cimarron in 1922. The Club's purpose was to pursue social, civic and educational activities while avoiding political and religious viewpoints. The name "Maverick" was adopted as being appropriate to a group of "strays which neither the Rotary, Kiwanis nor the Lions could brand under their rules, yet which desire to follow the spirit and object of such clubs." There are no dues for membership and once a man was invited to join, he was a member for life. The Maverick Club has sponsored Cimarron's 4th of July Rodeo since 1923--the oldest continuously operating rodeo in the United States.